Sunday, June 14, 2009

Umm, its normal to have tape on the propeller engine, right?

Ok, this should be a short entry, but a much needed one. Some things about Africa are coming as a small surprise to me and some (as you would expect) are just fun to report.

Here are a list of a few interesting incidents that aptly describe some of the interactions i have had with Normal Africans (not while climbing Kili or on Safari, etc).

1) Took Precision Airways (local Tanzanian airline now merged with Kenya Airlines) today from Kili airport to Nairobi. I look out the window and notice that the panels holding the propeller engine don't really have screws in them anymore. And there is TAPE on the outside, almost as if someone thought they could duct tape the panels together instead of adding screws. Well, i was already on the plane, no need to fret, it is Africa, everything is Hakuna Matata. Anyhow, not taking that airline again.

2) I am in the airport this morning checking in bags and my limit is 25 kgs. My camera equipment helps me get over the limit, but only by 7 kgs. I was told they will charge me $3 per extra kilo. The guy tries to tell me i owe $30. I say, no, only $21. He is cool with that, "Ok, sounds good, you will pay him later" (as he points to the baggage attendant). "Excuse me, pay him with cash?" Yep, the guy sat next to me at the waiting area and i gave him the $20 later in the morning. No idea where it went or if it was just pocketed between the 2 of them. While i was "paying" for my extra heavy baggage, they baggage attendant is asking me the standard "Your a white person, i need to figure out how to make money off of you" questions: Where are you from; Oh, NYC, that is great, we love Obama (once you say NYC they see dollar signs). I think from now on i will just say i am a poor photography student using borrowed equipment and from the slums of Chatham, NJ. They won't know any better. OK, but the point is that he tries to tell me i can book a safari through him! Yep, that is what i want to do. Meet a random baggage attendant and have him drive me around the Serengeti. Great idea.

3) Angry Tanzanians. Maybe Tanzania was spoiled by the economic boom and they were used to Mazungus ("white people" just descriptive term, not derogatory) throwing their money around. I had 3 people tell me they were offended because i did not want to buy some of their mass produced paintings that they all claimed was their own handiwork (ok, all of them look exactly the same, they are not individually done). One guy started yelling and swearing at me and told me this is why white people were hated. Just relax bro, you can't get what you want all the time. This same guy had a monkey in a box he was trying to pawn off on me (so clearly is moral code was shot and i would never support anyone harming wild animals). Needless to say, all these people getting mad at me was starting to perturb me. But seriously, i made mom proud and walked away without running my mouth. I didn't need her to get a call from the Discovery Channel: "Hi, Mrs. Nicola. We want to add your son to our "Locked Up Abroad" segment for next week. Can we fax over the waiver for you to sign on his behalf?"

Well, clearly the economic situation is affecting people over here as well, but it should also be noted that it is normal for the locals to be aggressive salesmen in Africa in order to make a buck. I was just surprised at the anger, didn't see any of that in Zimbabwe 2 years ago and they are clearly in a much more dire situation than Tanzania.

Likely off the grid for 2 weeks. Hope to have more updates by then. Off to study Lions for 2 weeks with Earthwatch, i am ok with the Lions getting angry at me, should provide for good pictures!

3 comments:

  1. Muzunga Dave! Fascinating to read. Thank you for taking the time to capture pieces of your adventure and share. Love the camaraderie with the Kili crew. Fun!
    Can't wait to hear about the lions!
    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was from me. Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how are the lions? gotten eaten yet?

    ReplyDelete